Community

The Gender Conundrum: An Introduction

Does anyone remember when “gender” and “sex” used to be synonyms? Language constantly evolves, especially during times of social change. As America grows more and more PC nowadays, it can seem overwhelming to keep up with all the new words…

Asexuality 2.0

Last year, I wrote an article affirming my identity as asexual and bi/panromantic. I included the perpetual onslaught of moments in my life where I was directly or indirectly made to feel that there was something inherently wrong with me.…

The Reality of My Home

When I came out to my brother, he couldn’t understand why I seemed so scared to tell him. To him, it was clear-cut: if I was gay, then that was that, and how could I be any less than perfectly…

Marina and a Dancing Diamond

A week ago, I attended a Marina and the Diamonds concert in Pomona. Yes, as one expects, it was a magical, transcendental, orgasmic experience. Being one of the most genuine pop artists of our generation, Marina never ceases to amaze…

Love in the Age of Alcohol: An Interview with Buster Ross

Sex, drugs, and rock and roll. Rampant immorality. Breeding grounds of future devil-worshippers, communists, and worst of all, homosexuals. All of these have been included in near-apocalyptic descriptors to American high schoolers of what they may experience, not attending Woodstock,…

In honor of National Coming Out Day

Artwork by Austin Wang To come out or not to come out — that is the perpetual question. No singular incident can define the collective coming-out of the LGBT+ community, nor does any one piece of advice seem sufficient enough…

Keep On Fighting: Creating Change 2015 Conference

Image by Rommy Torrico “What does your liberated world look like?” asked the man who stood before the microphone. “IT LOOKED FUCKING QUEER,” someone yelled back even more vivaciously. A roar of *snaps* ensued. From February 4th to February 8th…

Piss Politics: The Problems With UCLA’s “Gender-Inclusive” Bathrooms

Image by OutWrite On the eighth floor of Bunche Hall, I stand baffled before one of the twenty-five or so “gender inclusive” bathrooms on campus, except this bathroom doesn’t seem very inclusive at all. There are two signs with sliding…

By Any Other Name: What UCLA’s Preferred Name Policy Means for You

The cold sweat. The pit of dread in your gut. The gnawing sense of unrest as the professor moves down the list, calling out student names in alphabetical order. And then they reach you, call out a name you no…

Why You Should Download the LGBT Healthcare Bill of Rights

For a majority of queer youth, coming out to a doctor is extremely nerve-wracking– especially since it is someone who will decide what medical care you should receive. The chance of receiving subpar medical treatment deters some queer individuals from…