Every June, corporations unabashedly participate in rainbow capitalism by putting out rainbow logos and pride product lines without taking any meaningful action to support LGBTQ+ causes. We have grown quick to call out such corporations for their performativity, so why don’t we call out other forms of rainbow-washed oppression — especially when it comes to justifying the mass murder of an entire populace?
Ember Ireland (they/she) is a first-year pre-public affair major joining OutWrite as a writing intern. They are passionate about advocacy for social justice through writing, and consuming queer media to share with others. Aside from writing, they love playing piano, playing with their cats, dancing, and chilling in the LGBTQ+ CRC.
- Queerbaiting to Queer Couples: The Evolution of Queerness in 21st Century Media December 4, 2023
- “Glen or Glenda”: Feeling Seen Through Art December 1, 2023
- What “Red, White & Royal Blue” Gets Right About Being Queer in Politics — And What It Doesn’t November 20, 2023
- Rainbow-washing Genocide November 17, 2023
- Childhood, Silliness, and Photo Albums: An Interview With Amelia Day on “Little One” November 10, 2023