In February of this year, I had the pleasure of interviewing Black trans rapper Cuee. We discussed his career, future hopes, and musical and transitional journeys, but one aspect of our interview particularly inspired me: his emphasis on joy. Despite the darkness the transgender community faces, Cuee stated, “I want people to hear my story…and be like, ‘Okay, there’s the joy.’” His music has certainly achieved this goal — joy is present throughout his discography, and he has once again musically embodied trans happiness in his latest single, “Proud Boi.”
Michel (he/they) is a copy editor and occasional writer at OutWrite. He is a third year Classics major double minoring in Music Industry and Musicology. They have a passion for music and songwriting, and he loves to take what some might say are too many pictures of his cats.
- A Trip in Westwood September 22, 2023
- Why Pride This Year? September 15, 2023
- to live, not just to survive: the queer indomitable spirit September 8, 2023
- FIFA Banned Rainbow Armbands at the World Cup: Here’s How Players Showed Pride Instead September 4, 2023
- in pursuit of peace September 1, 2023