Community

Cathy Opie: Geography Becomes Identity

Monday, Jan. 23: UCLA Architecture and Urban Design presented Cathy Opie to speak. See a slideshow of some of Opie’s work here. Cathy Opie’s lecture came to me as a surprise. As an admirer of Opie’s portraiture, in particular her…

Gay Men Need Diapers: WTF?

A bible-thumping pastor from the South said something homophobic this week.  Big surprise.  But go ahead, watch the whole video and and feel gag at the outrgeousness (or, if you”re a cynic like me, chuckle a bit). Patrick Wood spewed a…

Psych 137: A Lesson in Ignorance and Stereotypes

Walking into the most recent meeting, I was greeted by a surprising title slide projected in royal blue letters above my head: “Male or Female? Gay or Straight?” and the subtitle, “All of us are described by these two ‘binary’ factors.” When first reading this slide, I assumed there was some kind of mistake.

What MLK Means To Me, A White Queer Male

Photo by Wes Candela “He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.” As I celebrated Martin Luther…

On Human Rights Day

Clinton: “Like being a woman, like being a racial, religious, tribal, or ethnic minority, being LGBT does not make you less human. And that is why gay rights are human rights, and human rights are gay rights.” Photo by Marc…

Editor’s Note: The Daily Bruin

First of all, I’d like to say that I am very, very proud of this issue, and of our staff here at OutWrite. I think this is our best issue yet, and I want to thank all of you for…

11/08: Queer Town Hall

It’s a Tuesday night on campus and a small classroom in Haines is bustling with people. There’re no professors about, and no food, but Queer alliance is hosting a public town hall event to discuss issues specifically facing the queer community on campus.

“Feminicity”

So I had gotten myself a new boyfriend. The perfect scenario all girls dream of: some ridiculously hot guy randomly deciding to commit on the first date. What more could I ask for? Terence was so great, he even liked…

NCOW: The Big Gay Sketch

The best way to end a week of heartwrenching emotions: by clutching your sides and roaring with laughter.  The closing act of the National Coming Out Week extravaganza was the Big Gay Sketch by LOGO”S Julie Goldman and Jonny McGovern…

NCOW: La Mission

Photo by Frank Kovalchek/Flickr Scarface. The Godfather. Fixing up old cars. His eighteen-year-old son. These are the pin-ups, passion and pride, respectively, of Che Rivera, a Mexican-American single dad and the resident tough guy of San Francisco’s Mission district, the…