Community

Give Us a Mask and We’ll Tell You the Truth: An Ode to Halloween

Photos by Kennedy Levi/OutWrite This is the night we celebrate the divine, the beautiful, the messy, the legendary in ourselves. Halloween has passed and chances are that just because you were a little too old to go trick-or-treating, (all the…

I Am the Gay Cousin: Thanksgiving Edition

Photo by Kennedy Levi/OutWrite There’s one in every family… and it might be you. A glimpse into the art of surviving being queer at your friendly family Thanksgiving. Thursday is a holiday and that means I have to see my…

A Night I (Surprisingly?) Remembered

Every time you party with the queers you forget half of it and the other half gets real gay. This night was tamer than the last time; all I remember then was ending up at Fat Sal’s at three in…

Transgender Day of Remembrance

Photo by Ben Townshend/Creative Commons At 2:30 am on Thursday, October 2nd, Aniya Parker was shot point-blank in the head on an East Hollywood side street. She was Black, and she was transgender. She did not die instantly, but passed…

Stop Dan Savage: Your LGBT “Activist” is Actually a Bigot

Image by Josh Rodriguez/Creative Commons Asexual people should stay at home. Bisexual people are not worth trying to settle down with. Sh*male. Tr*nny. These are all things said by renown activist Dan Savage. Dan Savage is a well-known gay man…

4 UCLA Bathrooms That Are Actually Gay Cruising Spots

Photo by Eddie Gaona/OutWrite Ah, Gay cruising, one of the gay male community’s favorite pastimes (and we’re not talking about the type with bottomless mimosas and Rosie O’Donell.) The recent strides in LGBTQ rights have lessened the pressure to stay…

The Safety of Restrooms

Image by sylvar/Creative Commons Restrooms are essential in our lives. Cisgender individuals, those who identify with their gender at birth, never have to worry about deciding which bathroom to use. But when it comes to transgender, genderqueer, or non-binary individuals,…

World Spotlight: Nigeria

Photo by Frank Farm/Creative Commons For the past years, the LGBT community has been striving to reach more and more of their rights, which include gay marriage (which they have accomplished in some states). More and more people are becoming…

Too Gay for Town?

Photo by Pierce Place/Creative Commons Of all the places in the country one might expect virulent outcries against the idea of a new gay bar, a small town in Mississippi is not the most surprising. If Los Angeles citizens signed…

Gender Health: Coming Out

“You must come out,” cried Harvey Milk in 1978, in a time when living one’s entire life closeted remained a common practice. But Harvey Milk urged his queer audience to come out to everyone they knew, everyone involved in their…