Community

The Troubling Origins of Queer Labeling: Reflecting on Kadji Amin’s Guest Lecture at UCLA

In Fall 2022, guest lecturer, Kadji Amin (he/him) of Emory University, presented his article “Taxonomically Queer?: Sexology and New Queer, Trans, and Asexual Identities.” I was nervous entering a room packed with mostly graduate students and professors, but when Professor Amin walked on the stage, my nerves melted away. I was gripped by his every word. Not only was his lecture the best one I’ve heard so far, but he was the first Asian trans professor I’d ever seen. As an Asian trans man myself, it was life-changing to see someone like me dedicating his life to studying people like us.

Queer Next Up: D’Andre Adonis

D’Andre Adonis (he/him) is a recording artist. With a mesh of R&B, Hip Hop and Pop with a sound that still has its own character, D’Andre Adonis has one goal: to make you feel something when you listen to his music. Based in his hometown of Chicago, IL he takes pride in his city and loves to grow with his peers.

Why is it So Hard to Access All-Gender Bathrooms in UCLA Dorm Housing?

To get access to the all-gender bathroom in on-campus housing with communal bathrooms (residence halls with classic or deluxe room types), a resident must contact their RA for a link to a request form. After filling out the request, the resident must then wait one to three business days for an email from the Residential Life (ResLife) Assistant Director that confirms that a key for the all-gender bathroom is ready for pick up. Finally, the resident must go to the front desk and pick up the key card.

Queer Next Up: Niki M’nray

Niki M’nray (she/her) is a trans American artist who uses her art to draw attention to world issues such as capitalism, the mistreatment of the LGBTQ+ community, and to generally have a voice despite all the laws pushing for trans eradication.

“It Was Never That Serious”: Noah Schnapp’s Coming Out and Who We’re Leaving Behind

In January, Noah Schnapp posted a TikTok that read, “When I finally told my friends and family I was gay after being scared in the closet for 18 years, and all they said was ‘we know.’” The sound he lip syncs to says, “You know what it never was? That serious. It was never that serious. Quite frankly, it will never be that serious.” He captioned it, “I guess I’m more similar to will than I thought,” a reference to Will Byers, the character he plays in the show “Stranger Things,” who was confirmed by Schnapp to be gay in an interview with Variety last year.

To Cis Queers Everywhere

A call to action for cisgender queer people in the fight for trans rights.

How Sunflower Station Presses On: Celebrating Issue 03 “Rituals & Ceremonies”

In May 1930, sci-fi fans created the first ‘zine’- which Wikipedia describes as “a small-circulation self-published work of original or appropriated texts and images”- to connect communities before the Internet. The zine quickly evolved, transforming with counterculture and punk movements, like the 1980s riot grrl, and finding popularity among queer communities. Even with social media, the zine continues to thrive as a way for people to connect and collaborate both underground and online. Sunflower Station Press is one such zine.

Queer Next Up: SHILPA

SHILPA (she/her) is an independent musician from Los Angeles, California. She writes funk, neo-soul, and indie tunes, often touching on complex emotions and themes of growth and solitude. She recently released her debut single, a touching homage to her grandmother — this song features poetic, lyrical writing, and is the first project of many more to come.

Queer Next Up: Daffne Cruz

Daffne Cruz (she/they) is an openly out queer high school administrator, photographer, model, Sharpe Stylist, and personal trainer. They advocate for authenticity in every capacity, and encourage others to be their true selves. She is multi-faceted and dedicated to help her community in every way possible.

Queer Next Up: VATTICA

VATTICA (they/them) is an artist and self-described soapbox snark for social change who writes alt-rock anthems for our dystopia.