Community

Queer Next Up: VATTICA

VATTICA (they/them) is an artist and self-described soapbox snark for social change who writes alt-rock anthems for our dystopia.

Queer Next Up: Tania Torres

Tania Torres (they/them) of Goopy Banana Co. is an artist and illustrator from Southern California. Being queer and Latinx, much of Torres’ background in the arts is self-taught. Her works are a reflection of the pride and imperfections that come with learning art as a hobby.

4 Queer Activists Fighting For Change in Central America

The seven countries that make up Central America have some of the most restrictive laws for queer and trans citizens in the Americas, denying them basic human rights, such as protection against discrimination and violence based on their identities; marriage equality; and the ability to change their legal identification to reflect their lived name or gender. Though younger generations are trending toward inclusivity, this rise in progressive thinking has been closely followed by an even sharper spike in conservatism. Still, there are queer activists in Central America who refuse to turn their backs on their countries despite their countries turning their backs on them. Here are four queer activists who have dedicated their lives to fighting for change in the countries that they call home.

Queer Next Up: Annelle Staal

Annelle Staal (they/them) is a compellingly honest songwriter and storyteller. A pioneer in the world of virtual performance and a visionary in their artistry, Annelle’s sound varies from blue-eyed soul to organic acoustic pop and nostalgic 80s inspired sounds.

Straight Women Rules: A Guide to Being the Perfect Lesbian®

There’s a lot of wondering and a lot of waiting. I understand what you might be feeling. I know that you’re biting your tongue, and always waiting till you make them uncomfortable.

Love At The End Of The World: A Review of “The Transient Bliss of Death by Fallout”

“Why am I so f****** AWKWARD?” “Alan, it’s not that bad,” you want to say to the dorky guy kicking a blow-up clown. “Pretty much everybody has a ‘Magic Tree House’ phase.”

Of course, you can’t say this because in this version of the world, you would have almost certainly perished in whatever cataclysm left Alan Alderman the last man alive. He now lives in his mother’s basement, explaining his circumstances to a tape recorder for posterity.

The Right To Discriminate?: Religious Exemption from Title IX Compliance

Illustrated by Paheli (She/Her) Content warning: homophobia, transphobia, religious language, mentions of depression and suicide Title IX protects against sex-based discrimination. Beginning with Bostock v. Clayton County, the Supreme Court ruled that Title IX’s protection extends to transgender and gay…

Queer Labeling: Why It’s Important And Why It’s Not

How is the LGBTQ+ community defined? We are a collection of letters that correspond to labels that help us define who we are. I personally found that labeling was extremely helpful when defining my attraction to other people. 

Breaking Boundaries in Beauty: The Love Story of Miss Argentina and Miss Puerto Rico

Imagine attending a beauty pageant, not knowing what to expect. Maybe you end up with a tiara and some press, maybe you leave with some great memories, or, just maybe, you get the chance to meet your future wife. This was the case for beauty queens Fabiola Valentín and Mariana Varela, known as Miss Puerto Rico and Miss Argentina respectively.

The 250-Year-Old “Fad”: The Public Universal Friend and Gender Nonconformity Then and Now

1776 was a chaotic year: so hectic that barely anyone noticed that a young woman named Jemima Wilkinson lay dying. The person who awoke the next morning bore a different name and a different purpose: The Public Universal Friend was born.