Community

Coming Out(Write): Our Stories

Graphic by Christopher Ikonomou (Xe/He) Members of the queer community are expected to “come out” because our society views being cisgender and heterosexual as the default. However, everyone’s identity is their own. We should be able to come out on…

Starfish, Gay Sex, and Queer Ecology

Photo by Zoë Collins (She/Her) I’ve long been plagued by the idea that my sexuality is “unnatural.” Unnatural is a funny word. Simply defined, it is the scope of anything outside of the ordinary course of nature. But when you…

Taking Care of Yourself When It’s Hard To Care

Photo by Zoë Collins (She/Her) During these, ahem, unprecedented times, it can sometimes feel hard to care about anything, let alone care about ourselves. I’m sure you’ve come across numerous self-care articles over these past few months, and I’m sure…

Distance Has Never Stopped Queer Love

Graphic by Kas Greenbaum (They/He) The coronavirus pandemic has changed how people are able to connect to each other. Masks stop not just germs but smiles; social distancing prevents not just transmission but hugs. Young queer people especially have found themselves…

A World On Her Way: Imagining Futures with Mirrored Fatality

Photo by Princess Amugo   It’s March 5th, 2020. There are sixty-seven recorded cases of coronavirus in the United States. George Floyd is alive. Breonna Taylor is alive. The only thing on my mind is getting to this interview…

With Queer Wins this Election, What does this mean for Queer People?

Last updated on 5/2/22 at 4:36pm PT to update a broken hyperlink. Revolutionary. Trailblazing. Tenacity. Coalition. Change. Hopeful. These are some words that were given to me by queer folks when asked for one word they think grasps how these…

Coming Out is a Choice

Graphic by Ria Kotak   “Coming out” is one of the most commonly recognized aspects of the queer experience. It’s a moment that’s defined by the reactions we get (whether or not our family and friends accept us, what happens…

UCLA Campus During COVID-19

Photo by Ajana Orozco – “Kerckhoff Hall and Bruin Walk” How has COVID-19 affected being a student at UCLA? Waiting for the light to change to green at Charles E. Young Drive with your schoolmates so you can all start…

Protests Against Police Violence: From Cooper’s Do-nuts to George Floyd

As many people— many queer people— know, Pride can be seen as rooted from the Stonewall Riots, famously led by Marsha P. Johnson and Sylvia Rivera. Although this is true, the Stonewall Riots were just one of several protests that…

Being Queer in a Small Town during COVID-19

Photos by Jaden King When UCLA announced that online instruction would begin Week 10 of winter quarter and last until April 10, ultimately to be extended throughout the remainder of the academic year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, I contemplated…