Community

UCLA Centennial: Spotlighting Evelyn Hooker

Graphic by Christopher Ikonomou In Winter Quarter of 2020, UCLA’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Studies (LGBTQS) Program hosted its first Fiat Lux seminar, entitled “UCLA Centennial Initiative: Dr. Evelyn Hooker, Mattachine Society, and Homosexuality Depathologized.”  Professor Mitchell Morris,…

Work! A Queer History of Modeling

Elspeth H. Brown, Professor of History at the University of Toronto, visited UCLA on Jan. 23 for the second event of the 2019-20 QueerCurrent Lecture Series.  The talk was named “Work! A Queer History of Modeling,” after Brown’s most recent…

LGBT History: transcending time, part 1

graphic by Ria Kotak   While the concept of a unified LGBTQ+ community is a fairly recent conception, the components that make the acronym are as timeless as time itself. Narratives around the LGBTQ+ community hint at it being a…

Finding Ourselves in the Outrageousness of “Revenge Song,” a Historical Comedy

L-R Beth Hawkes and Margaret Odette in Revenge Song: A Vampire Cowboys Creation. Directed by Robert Ross Parker. Photo credit: Jeff Lorch. Walking into the Geffen Playhouse, one is immediately absorbed by the deep purple hues lit throughout the lobby. I’m here…

They: Merriam-Webster’s Word of the Year

Graphic by Christopher Ikonomou “They” has been named the word of the year by Merriam-Webster! The online dictionary announced that lookups for the gender-neutral pronoun increased by 313% in 2019.  GLAAD’s Director of Transgender Representation, Nick Adams, celebrated the statement.…

Gender Neutral Pronouns: Anxiety, Autonomy, and Everything In Between

Graphic by Angela Z. CW: potential NBphobia, transphobia, references to dysphoria and body dysmorphia   Over the past few years, the transgender community has become increasingly visible, allowing a broader audience to hear about our issues. Non-binary, genderqueer, and other…

“Boys Don’t Cry” Lecture

On November 14th, 2019, the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Studies (LGBTQS) Program started its first year-long lecture series since 2008.  Known as “QueerCurrent,” the series was revived with the help of the current Dean of Humanities, David Schaberg,…

SCAR TISSUE

Graphic by Mark Julien. CW: mentions of suicide, pejorative language Words have power.  They can bruise and they can cut.  Although you cannot see the scars on my skin they are there.  I have been carefully and skillfully cut and the…

13 Things That Are Ace Culture

graphic by Angela Zheng. Contributing authors: Jasper & Angela Zheng Several months ago, I was shocked to hear someone say there’s no distinctive culture in the ace community. While I agree that it’s impossible for everybody along the ace-spectrum to…

We Have a Responsibility
Graphic by Saachi Kotia The plight of the marginalized is a battle not fought alone. We only advance through unification and community. But how do you fight a war when your own team isn’t on your side?  Queer people of…