Community

Candidly Cathartic with Cara Connors: A “Straight for Pay” Review and Interview

Photos by Andrew Max Levy “Basically, long story-short, [my ex-husband] wanted me to be like a housewife-type of person, you know, very traditional and, like, with the kids. And … I just really wanted him to be a woman. TURNS…

“Framing Agnes”: A Story of Dis- and Reconnection

Photos by Lex Ryan/UCLA FTV Archive As part of a larger showing presented by the UCLA Film & Television Archive on April 18th, some of the OutWrite staff had the chance to watch the film, “Framing Agnes,” a tale about…

The Lavender Laws

A deep dive into the history of legal rights for the LGBTQ+ community in the United States

Censorship: Seeing Alex Donis

Artworks by Alex Donis This article was last updated on 4/17/22 at 1:32pm. Censorship of LGBTQ+ media throughout history and throughout the world is something that affects a lot of art and a lot of artists, a lot of people…

“What Does Visibility Mean to You?”: Transgender Day of Visibility 2022

March 31st is International Transgender Day of Visibility, an annual celebration of the transgender community and opportunity for action against transphobia, systemic oppression, and violence. In honor of TDoV, we asked some of our trans/nonbinary staff members the following simple…

Pedestal to Villification Pole: Dehumanization in Online Queer Representation

Graphic by Steph Liu (She/Her) There is no doubt that queer people have made incredible strides in terms of visibility over the past decade alone, and the Internet enabled a lot of the progress the community has made. Queer content…

Valentines from OutWrite

Graphic by Christopher Ikonomou (Xe/He) We asked our staff members for their experiences with and opinions on Valentine’s Day. Here’s what they had to share! “I’m actually experiencing my first Valentine’s this year with my girlfriend, and even though the…

“Diversity”: A Piece Lost to the Pandemic

Art by Christopher Ikonomou (Xe/He) Right before the COVID-19 pandemic hit, OutWrite participated in the early stages of a still-unnamed Community Issue, a print compiling pieces from all of UCLA’s newsmagazines. Unfortunately, the project fell through in Spring 2020. As…

Do You Listen to girl in red? The History and Modern Usage of Signaling in the WLW Community

Graphic by Christopher Ikonomou (Xe/He) Now, modern queer and WLW communities have adapted queer signaling to their own fashion and pop cultures. girl in red, a Norwegian indie pop band headed by WLW singer-songwriter Marie Ulven, is one of these…

Lesbian Witches

Photo of the Massa Marittima Mural in Italy **Content Warning: violence, homophobia, misogyny** Historically, the queer community has flourished during holidays like Halloween. It is the night where identity is clouded, irregularities are cherished, and the things that scare us…